Are you wondering how to delete your account in Gmail or even how to delete your Gmail account? The process is very simple and easy if you follow it judiciously. We will be looking at how to delete your account in Gmail in this article. If you already have an account in Gmail but you want to delete the account, there are several ways you can achieve that.
You can delete your account in Gmail using different methods depending on the platform you are using. There is a different method to delete your account in Gmail for users of desktops, mobile phones and iPhones as well. The steps are the same with a slight difference. For each of the platforms mentioned above, we will show you the details on how to use it.
Some people that have a Gmail account may want to delete their account. There are so many reasons why some people may want to delete their account in Gmail. It might be because they used the wrong username or that they even receive so many spam letters. Whatever the case, we will show you how to delete your account in Gmail in the sections below.
How To Delete Your Account In Gmail On The Web
Are you among those that want to permanently delete their Gmail account? Or you don’t know the right steps to take to achieve that. We will give you a guide and steps you can use to delete your account in Gmail. The method we will show you in this section can only be used for Windows and macOS because they make use of web browsers. The following are the steps you can use to delete your account in Gmail.
- When you log in to your Gmail account, click on your profile picture located at the top-right of your page.
- Options will pop up, then select “Manage your Google Account.”
- On the left-hand side menu, choose the “Data & Privacy” option.
- In the section labelled “Download or delete your data,” click on “Delete a Google service.”
- Select “Delete a service” and type in your Gmail account password to confirm.
- Click on the trash icon next to “Gmail”. You can also choose to click “DOWNLOAD DATA” if you want to save your messages, attachments, and settings.
- Provide a non-Gmail email address to link with your other Google services. After that, Click on “SEND VERIFICATION EMAIL.”
- You will be required to log in to the non-Gmail account and open the verification email. Click the link inside the email sent to you.
- At the bottom of the email, check the box and select “DELETE GMAIL.”
How To Delete Your Account In Gmail Using An Android Phone
As I have said earlier, the steps to delete your account in Gmail are the same thing with just a slight difference. The following are the steps.
- Using your Android phone, go to settings, search for Google, and click on it.
- Click on “Manage your Google account.” In the Data & Personalization section,
- Click on “Delete a service or your account.”
- Click on “Delete a service,” and then click on the Trash bin next to your account.
- Follow the instructions that will pop up on the screen. The other steps are like what you do on a computer.
How To Delete A Gmail Account On iPhone
If you want to delete your account in Gmail using an iPhone, The process is similar to the steps used in deleting a Gmail account from your computer/web. Delete your account in Gmail using your iPhone requires you to have a Gmail account on your iPhone’s web browser. Once you start the process, you will find out that the steps are almost the same thing as the steps used to delete your account in Gmail using a computer. See the steps below:
- On your iPhone, open your app, and click the three-line menu.
- Go to Settings, and select the account you want to delete.
- Choose the “Manage your Google Account” option.
- Choose “Data & personalization,” then “Delete a service or your account,” and finally “Delete a service.”
- Look for Gmail in your list of Google services, click on the trash icon and follow the instructions to delete your Gmail account. You can as well find these steps in our detailed computer guide.
Things You Must Know Before Deleting Your Gmail Account
You might think that deleting your account on Gmsil is a small issue, but no it is not. Some people might also think it is as insignificant as ending your marriage relationship with your spouse or partner. Before you take the decision to delete your account in Gmail, you must know that it is an irreversible decision or action. So you must know the following important points before you will finally decide whether to delete your account in Gmail or not to do so.
Deleting Your Account In Gmail Is Permanent
You must note that if you take that decision and delete your account in Gmail, it is permanent and cannot be reversed. Once you follow the steps correctly, you cannot undo the process again. Although there is a possibility of doing so. but I doubt it. If you delete your account in Gmail, all your emails and account information will be wiped off and you won’t be able to send or receive emails with that account again. Also, nobody will be able to use the email account name you have deleted on Gmail again.
Your Google Account Will Remain Active
That you followed the steps to delete your account in Gmail and succeeded does not mean your entire Gmail account will be deleted. You can use some services on the account like your Photos, Drive, etc.
Other Accounts Maybe Affected
Some people signed in to different Gmail accounts using one Gmail account address. If you are in the category of people that did that and you delete your account in Gmail, you may end up losing access to all your other accounts with Gmail.
Resetting Password Becomes Tricky
If you used the Gmail account you want to delete to sign up for various services, you will not be able to reset your password again in case you forget your password.
You Can Save Your Emails
Before you start the process of deleting your Gmail account, there is an opportunity for you to download your emails using Google Takeout. Note that if you use IMAP, it is only your locally stored emails that will be saved. All your synchronised folders like those new year resolutions you had abandoned will be lost.